Sunday, April 22, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Over the past week, I went back and re-read some of my old Myspace blogs. Remember Myspace? the early 2000s were such a innocent time. Well, if you don't take 9-11 into consideration.  As I was reading my past rants, I got the urge to start writing again. My big concern with starting to pound on the keyboard, besides my forgetting most of the rules of writing I learned in school, was what would be the purpose of the new blog?

My previous writings basically fell into three categories; political, rants on society and nonsense. The later of the group were done when I had nothing else to write about while the first two were done when I would get irate over events happening the world. I really feel as a society we''re heading down a self-destructive path from which there may be no return. It's these blogs that I describe as piss and vinegar writings due to the self-indulgent venom I tend to spew during the course of the writings.

Since I last blogged, I have had some changes in my life which have slightly changed my inner thoughts. Because of this changed outlook on life, I wondered if my writings would have the same impact. Not impact on the reader because Lord knows none of my writings had any effect, but rather are the same hostilities still lurking inside me somewhere waiting to be unleashed.  If not would my writing suffer? I wrote a blog about six years ago during a positive time in my life that noted I felt my happiness was hindering my writing. While I'm currently not at the place I hoped to be at this stage in life, I am leading a life I enjoy and have few complaints. The big question for myself then is do I have anything to write about?

Well thankfully we're in an election year and the media has continued to to turn its back on journalistic integrity so there are plenty of issues that make me want to scream. I stopped writing right after the election of President Obama so I find it somewhat fitting to regroup and take up writing again as we head towards his potential re-election.  For those who weren't around four years ago here's a little recap so you'll know what to expect. I was not a fan of Senator Obama (nor was I a fan of Senator McCain) and looking back on everything I wrote, I feel a lot of the reservations I had about a President Obama have been justified. Four months ago I would have thought a Republican victory in November would be pretty close to a sure thing. Unfortunately none of the Republican politicians who had very little baggage decided to run and we got Mitt Romney as the Presidential challenger. So much like 2000, 2004 and 2008, I am dismayed that America is for all realistic purposes a two party country and will keep wishing on stars for a viable third, fourth and fifth party to step up by 2016.

What can you expect from this blog? Well, besides tons of grammatical errors. You can expect a lot of ranting and moaning about things I find ridiculous happening in the world. I'd say I'm a mix of Andy Rooney, Lewis Black and Don Rickles with a splash of Dane Cook added to zap away the talent.  When I get bored of bitching about society, I'll write about things that no one should care about. Stuff like Brangelina getting engaged. You know, the important stuff.

If you've made it this far, I hope you stick around for the rest of the ride. If I haven't offended you or made you think you've wasted precious minutes of your life, come back tomorrow. I'm guessing by the end of the week you'll feel I've done one of the two.

And just to get this off on a good note, here a nice little video to get the ball rolling. 


1 comment: